How Do Facebook Ads Work?
Facebook ads now come in several varieties. You can promote your Page, posts on your Page, actions users took, or your website itself. Despite Facebook's increasing focus on native ads and keeping traffic on its site, you can still be successful sending users to your website.
Facebook ads are targeted to users based on their location, demographic, and profile information. Many of these options are only available on Facebook. After creating an ad, you set a budget and bid for each click or thousand impressions that your ad will receive.
Facebook's most important ad targeting options Users then see your ads in the sidebar on Facebook.com.
This guide will walk you through the best practices for creating CPC ads that drive traffic to your website. Facebook's other ad options are great for driving engagement and brand awareness, but ads driving users off site are still the best option for direct response advertisers looking to make a sale.
How Does Facebook Advertising Work?
” is a valid question, but before we learn whether it works (spoiler: it does), we need to understand how Facebook advertising works.
Image via Facebook Essentially, the difference between paid search and paid social can be reduced and simplified to a single truism:
paid search helps prospective customers find your business, while paid social helps your business find prospective customers . Facebook advertising does this by allowing you to target specific audiences that are likely to be interested in your products and services by leveraging the immense wealth of data Facebook has about its users.
First, you identify your campaign objective, or what you want your Facebook ads to actually accomplish. This might be driving traffic to your website, encouraging visitors to download your app, generating leads, or increasing sales.
Once you've identified your campaign objective, you then tell Facebook to whom your ads should be displayed. This is done by what is known as audience segmentation – the process of providing Facebook with a profile of your ideal audience so Facebook only displays your ads to people who exhibit the behaviors and belong to the demographics you're interested in. Facebook has thousands of custom audience parameters, allowing you to create amazingly refined audience segments for your campaigns. You can also create custom audiences by uploading data on existing customers that you already have, which enables Facebook to create “lookalike” audiences based on parameters that you choose.
Next, you create the ads you want to run.
Facebook ads are highly visual and align with the ways in which people use Facebook, particularly on mobile devices – definitely no tiny, text-based ads here. Finally, you use data and analytics to evaluate the performance of your Facebook ads , allowing you to make changes to improve everything from impression share to click-through rate, just as you would in a paid search campaign.
This brief scanned the following sources (title, domain, description):
- A Deep Dive Into Facebook Advertising - Learn How To Make It Work For Your Business! (neilpatel.com) - In this guide, you'll learn which businesses are the best fit for Facebook ads and how to run successful campaigns. We'll cover the most common mistake marketers make and the biggest factor in your ad's success.
- Facebook Ads: The Ultimate Guide For Businesses (socialmediaexaminer.com) - Learn how to use Facebook advertising to promote your business: Explore Facebook Ads Manager, ad formats, and reporting on the ROI of your ad campaigns.
- Facebook Advertising Made Simple: A Step-by-Step Guide (neilpatel.com) - Want to learn Facebook ads? This Facebook marketing guide will walk you through how to use Facebook ads in a tutorial and course format.
- The Beginner's Guide to Facebook Advertising 2019 By AdEspresso (adespresso.com) - The Facebook Advertising beginner's guide will teach you how to get started with Facebook Ads. From setting up an account to creating your first campaign
- Facebook Ads Manager Guide (How-To Set Up Your Facebook Ad Campaigns) (adespresso.com) -
- Facebook Ads: The Complete Guide to Getting Started with Facebook Ads (buffer.com) - Dive into our full review of the different Facebook Ad types, including boosting posts, and learn what spending just $5 per day on Facebook Ads can get you:
- How to Run Facebook Ads: A Step-by-Step Guide to Advertising on Facebook (blog.hubspot.com) - Don't run a Facebook ad before referring to this comprehensive checklist, which covers everything from setting it up to reporting on metrics.
- What Is Facebook Advertising (advertisemint.com) - What is Facebook advertising? Your questions are answered here. Read article now to learn more about Facebook advertising.
- What is Facebook advertising and Facebook ads? (itpro.co.uk) - We explain why Facebook advertising is a good idea for your business
- Advertising on Facebook - Qwaya Facebook Ads Tool (qwaya.com) - Become successful in Facebook advertising. Learn how to write the best ad, what type of ads you can choose from and how to maximize the ad value.
- Does Facebook Advertising Work? [DATA] (wordstream.com) - Does Facebook advertising work? YES. In this post, we'll cover exactly how and examine the data behind why this is such a powerful tool.
- Facebook - Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org) -
These topics were mentioned multiple times across various sources:
- facebook page
- target audience
- news feed
- custom audience
- social media
- social network
- Brand awareness
- campaign objective
- click through rate
- user experience
- video views
- daily budget
- blog post
- landing page
- website traffic
- lookalike audience
- lead generation
- campaign results
- Audience Network
These are some relevant questions found across sources:
- How Does Facebook Advertising Work?
- How to Set Up a Facebook Ad Campaign
- How Do Facebook Ads Work?
- What is Facebook advertising and Facebook ads?
- How to Target Facebook Ads
- How to Run Facebook Ads
- What Is Facebook Advertising
- How to Get Started With Facebook Ads
- How to Test Facebook Ads
- How Did Facebook Advertising Start?
These are some relevant subsections found across sources:
- Facebook Advertising Definition
- Images for Facebook Ads
- Facebook Ads Guide to Reporting & Optimization
- Advertising on Facebook
- Facebook Advertising Overview
- Facebook Ad Bidding and Optimization
- The Facebook Ad Auction
- Help for Facebook Advertisers
- Social Media Marketing
- Writing Facebook Ad Copy
These are some factual sentences found across sources:
- You'll likely start out closer to the average of 0.04%. (neilpatel.com)
- Your ads are delivered to a targeted audience that has been viewing a video for at least 60 seconds, meaning they're engaged and more likely to pay attention to your message. (socialmediaexaminer.com)
- There's a reason over 30% of new product searches all start on Google, according to BigCommerce. (neilpatel.com)
- You can select a country and percentage (like 1%, 5%, or 10%) to control how tightly defined you want that audience to be. (neilpatel.com)
- This gave us an estimated reach of up to 3,200 people out of 14 million. (buffer.com)
- In 2018 and beyond, it's becoming more and more likely that you'... (buffer.com)
- According to data from Facebook's Q3 2015 earnings report , the number of daily active users accessing the site via mobile devices was 893 million during September of last year, a year-over-year increase of 27%. (wordstream.com)
- According to data from Pew Research Center, 70% of U.S. Facebook users access the site daily, of which 43% do so multiple times per day. (wordstream.com)
- According to an interview in 2012 with Facebook build engineer Chuck Rossi, Facebook compiles into a 1.5 GB binary blob which is then distributed to the servers using a custom BitTorrent -based release system. (en.wikipedia.org)
- According to the company's data at the July 2010 announcement, half of the site's membership used Facebook daily, for an average of 34 minutes, while 150 million users accessed the site by mobile. (en.wikipedia.org)